Ranke.2 presents a new resource for historians and other humanists to discuss and teach the hermeneutics of source evaluation:
Objectives of Ranke.2
- How digitisation and the web have changed the nature of historical research.
- How digital objects are created (retro-digitised, born-digital, converted documents).
- What changes when an analogue source is turned into a digital representation.
- How to question the concept of the “original”.
- How information is added to a digital object (metadata).
- How data is published online and made searchable.
- What the impact of search engines is on finding and selecting sources.
- How to apply a number of digital tools to data.
- The difference between conducting research in an archive and online.
- The properties of different types of data (text, images, objects, audio-visual).